THREE suspected terrorists have been arrested in Spain for allegedly planning suicide attacks.
According to the Guardia Civil, the three men arrested in Salamanca, Burgos and Huelva were searching for explosives to help carry out ‘jihad’ on Spanish soil.
Multiple raids on opposite sides of the country unearthed various large bladed weapons.
Police also found balaclavas and combat vests which were used in propaganda videos that were distributed online.
The Guardia Civil said the group were declared a ‘threat to national security’ after it was discovered they had been searching online for more weapons and bombs while looking up suicide attacks.
‘They were aligned with the theories of the global jihadist movement,’ the force said in a press release.
The operation last week, which was only reported on Friday, involved the support of Europol.
Officers found a range of terrorist content on the suspects’ devices, including material from jihadist leaders in Al Qaeda, Daesh and other terror cells of Palestinian origin.
The Spanish National Court in Madrid ordered two of the suspects to be held in prison while a third was released on licence.